From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:03:15
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Thursday 24 August 2006 20:46, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> Robert Cernansky wrote:
4 >>> What bothers me also, is that it has not plugin design like
5 >>> xmms. Support for plugins is very good because lot of people can write
6 >>> plugins for lot of things. This is why people do not want to switch
7 >>> from xmms because thanks to plugins it have so many features that
8 >>> currently no player is able to overcome it.
9 >> So port the plugins from xmms to $NEW_CLIENT, since xmms is an old piece
10 >> of crap.
11 >
12 > Who cares. It works (mostly), it is lightweight, and there are enough people
13 > using it to keep it in the tree. As long as things don't break beyond repair
14 > I see no reason whatsoever to remove xmms (or any other largely unmaintained
15 > package in the tree).
16 >
17 > Paul
20 This is one of those things (along with qa and security) that the
21 community needs to decide. Does stuff that works but has terrible qa
22 stay in the tree? Does security stuff stay in the tree, but masked?
23 Should xmms be masked? We have no real way of "deprecating" a package,
24 aside from leaving it in the tree with a masking reason saying
25 "deprecated and unsupported." at which point not everything in the tree
26 becomes supported.
27
28 The Treecleaner project that I run is based on the assumption that
29 broken stuff in the tree is bad, and I try to remove the really old stuf
30 broken stuff first. However I aspire to eventually "catch up" and get
31 to the currently broken packages. So which way will you have it? Or is
32 this more of a pragmatic stance on the tree?
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list