From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paid support
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 14:48:20
1 On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 23:50 -0400, Curtis Napier wrote:
3 > Hash: MD5
4 >
5 > I'm in support of having a list of devs who want to do paid support.
6 > Anything that helps people eat is OK in my book. ;)
7 >
8 > On the other hand, I think we need to have the foundation run this past
9 > our lawyer(s) and make sure we have our i's dotted and out t's crossed.
10 > I would hate for something good like this to cause us problems down the
11 > road.
12
13 Umm... The Foundation has zero to do with a contract between two third
14 parties. Let me give you an example. I am currently doing paid "Gentoo
15 work" for a company, who will remain nameless. I filled out paperwork
16 with the company. My being a member of the Gentoo Foundation, a
17 Trustee, or anything else, has exactly zero bearing on my being
18 contracted, as an individual, to a company.
19
20 > I know christel is consulting with an accountant about adpot-a-dev,
21 > maybe she can throw this in as well?
22
23 Do we have to do some special law-abiding dance to have sponsors listed
24 on the site? What about advertisers?
25
26 What Christel is researching is the tax law related to individuals
27 receiving gifts. It has no bearing on the Foundation itself.
28
29 Let's look at this another way. We have advertisers that sell Gentoo
30 servers and Gentoo-based services. How exactly is this any different?
31 Is it because they're developers? How does that matter? In the end,
32 the contract is entirely between two third-party entities, the
33 developer, and whomever contracts him. It isn't like the Foundation is
34 offering services. It isn't. The individual developers are offering
35 services. The Foundation is not any of our employer. We are not bound
36 by any legal contract to the Foundation, and it has no ties to us.
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
41 x86 Architecture Team
42 Games - Developer