From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for May
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 14:21:35
1 On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 13:11 +0200, Matthias Langer wrote:
4 > ok, agreed, this is a valid point. so i would suggest, that maintainers
5 > of games where this argument applies, come to special agreements with
6 > the arch teams - or just file bugreports like this:
7 >
8 > "
9 > although games-foo/lord-of-bar-2.4.6 has just been bumped, i would like
10 > to have it stable real soon, as upstream has changed the network
11 > protocol. i have x86 and amd64 hardware available, and can confirm, that
12 > the game works nice there; so, if no one objects, i'm gonna mark
13 > lord-of-bar-2.4.6 stable on x86 and amd64 in two days. i would also like
14 > to have a shiny sparc keyword, but have no hardware to test. so it would
15 > be highly appreciated if someone from the sparc team can give the game a
16 > try.
17 > "
20 I can't speak for all of sparc, of course, but generally we try to
21 accommodate requests when the package developers explain the situation.
22 In a case like Eternal Lands, it might turn out that the best solution
23 would be always to keep it as ~sparc, but that would have the same
24 effect in practice as a stable keyword, because anyone playing the game
25 on sparc would know what was going on (I would think). The key here is
26 the bug report, and at that point the friendly sparc developers would
27 work with you. :)
28
29 > but committing straight to stable on arches where the package wasn't
30 > even tested is an absolute no-do for me.
31 >
32 > > DISCLAIMER: I've not read the bug mentioned as I've lost the email
33 > > with it's number so I may just be talking out of my ass.
34 >
35 > no, in fact you are the first one that comes up with a valid argument,
36 > why games sometimes should go to stable almost immediately. sad, but
37 > true...
40 Regards,
41 --
42 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
43 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)