From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:47:37
1 On Tuesday 21 October 2003 1:15, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2
3 > So you move the sources from /usr/src/ to /opt, or you don't use the
4 > various kernel-sources ebuilds? If you're moving the sources, what
5 > makes /opt better than /usr/src?
6
7 Actually, I used to rsync the tree to my home dir, but that became tedious and
8 time consuming, as well as trying to inject enough stuff to satisfy all the
9 virtuals became a headache. So yes, I move the sources to /opt, and it's not
10 a "better" thing..but packages dont look for /opt/usr/src/linux-* either.
11 Makes it easier to spot an offending package and try to get it fixed/
12 resolved.
13
14 > Incidentally, I'm quite glad that /usr/src/linux is the target of a lot
15 > of our ebuilds, since it's fairly common for me to build and install
16 > alsa, pcmcia, and nvidia modules for the kernel I'm about to boot into.
17 > (Why do I want to build the modules before rebooting? Because that way I
18 > don't have to spend twenty minutes in console mode before I can have
19 > working sound, video, and networking.)
20
21 Perfectly understandable, if you have that many modules needing built, I'd
22 probably want to build it beforehand, also. But for one or two non-critical
23 packages, it would be easier to be running the kernel they need to go to. But
24 as my disclaimer, I did point out a nice selectable interface for choosing
25 the target kernel would be preferred over the current symlink solution.
28 Chuck Brewer
29 Registered Linux User #284015
30 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.