From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tomka@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:11:00
1 On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:57:32 +0200
2 Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I was mentored on the QA issues and have come to 'this attitude'
5 > myself. Take sci-mathematics/singular: Upstream is genuinely not
6 > interested in supporting distriutions or their petty QA unless
7 > you can prove them that there is a problem that massively hurts
8 > them. Fixing compatibility with user specified LDFLAGS? They'll
9 > laugh at you. Their attitude is a result of years and years of
10 > struggling with too little manpower themselves. They can hardly
11 > keep up with scientific developments.
12 >
13 > My personal attitude: It is just not worth the effort to rewrite
14 > their build systems for the ~10 users out there. I have better
15 > things to do with my time and I think that these packages can
16 > live forever in the overlay and that is completely OK this way.
17
18 Yeah, it behaves like a trade-off in manpower; the type of QA brought
19 up here is an enhancement, where it would be nice if someone could make
20 the *FLAGS, CC, LD, ... supported but definitely not a requirement.
21
22 This is not a reason to keep it in an overlay (or block stabilization).
23
24 > I think that's a different point. I've also met people who just
25 > don't want to become developers because their "it's not worth my
26 > time" boundary is on the other side of the quizzes. So one could
27 > say yes, contributing to overlays is convenient enough to never
28 > do quizzes. The arguments I have heard are not about bugzilla
29 > workflow. They are: I don't get that much more from being a full
30 > dev, so I don't bother taking the quizzes.
31
32 Yes; becoming a full Gentoo Developer can help to go across certain
33 restrictions, as well as can become more handy if you do work all over
34 the place in the Portage tree. Other than that I think there is a lot
35 you can get accomplished as an user; that is, if there is enough
36 manpower to make those accomplishments of the users have an effect:
37
38 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs
39
40 > Here's a positive thing: There are many ways to contribute, even
41 > without taking lenghty quizzes :)
42
43 Indeed, here is a lengthy summary that is probably not complete:
44
45 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Contributing_to_Gentoo
48 With kind regards,
49
50 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
51 Gentoo Developer
52
53 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
54 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
55 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D