From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:57:31
1 On 09.06.2014 23:45, hasufell wrote:
2 > Thomas Kahle:
3 >> then they stay in the overlay
4 >> because people feel it is not worth the effort to fix the QA
5 >> issues which in turn would be necessary before moving them to the
6 >> main tree.
9 > Probably because no one mentored them on how to fix these QA issues.
10 > Otherwise... if that's attitude, then that's just sad and has to be
11 > fixed by those who run that overlay (review, contribution guidelines).
12
13 I was mentored on the QA issues and have come to 'this attitude'
14 myself. Take sci-mathematics/singular: Upstream is genuinely not
15 interested in supporting distriutions or their petty QA unless
16 you can prove them that there is a problem that massively hurts
17 them. Fixing compatibility with user specified LDFLAGS? They'll
18 laugh at you. Their attitude is a result of years and years of
19 struggling with too little manpower themselves. They can hardly
20 keep up with scientific developments.
21
22 My personal attitude: It is just not worth the effort to rewrite
23 their build systems for the ~10 users out there. I have better
24 things to do with my time and I think that these packages can
25 live forever in the overlay and that is completely OK this way.
26
27 > And I still think that the top 1 reason people run an overlay is because
28 > it's easier than contributing directly.
29 > A lot of overlay maintainers I tried to convince on getting more
30 > involved even said that.
31
32 I think that's a different point. I've also met people who just
33 don't want to become developers because their "it's not worth my
34 time" boundary is on the other side of the quizzes. So one could
35 say yes, contributing to overlays is convenient enough to never
36 do quizzes. The arguments I have heard are not about bugzilla
37 workflow. They are: I don't get that much more from being a full
38 dev, so I don't bother taking the quizzes.
39
40 > Even sunrise workflow has proven too slow and cumbersome... look at the
41 > commit history, it's constantly decreasing.
42
43 I don't know sunrise.
44
45 > Sure, reasons may vary, but there is not much positive to say about
46 > current gentoo workflow.
47
48 Here's a positive thing: There are many ways to contribute, even
49 without taking lenghty quizzes :)
50
51 Cheers,
52 Thoams