From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 21:45:42
1 Thomas Kahle:
2 > then they stay in the overlay
3 > because people feel it is not worth the effort to fix the QA
4 > issues which in turn would be necessary before moving them to the
5 > main tree.
8 Probably because no one mentored them on how to fix these QA issues.
9 Otherwise... if that's attitude, then that's just sad and has to be
10 fixed by those who run that overlay (review, contribution guidelines).
11
12 And I still think that the top 1 reason people run an overlay is because
13 it's easier than contributing directly.
14 A lot of overlay maintainers I tried to convince on getting more
15 involved even said that.
16
17 Even sunrise workflow has proven too slow and cumbersome... look at the
18 commit history, it's constantly decreasing.
19
20 Sure, reasons may vary, but there is not much positive to say about
21 current gentoo workflow.