From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:30:23
1 On Monday 09 June 2014 21:45:26 hasufell wrote:
2 > Probably because no one mentored them on how to fix these QA issues.
3 > Otherwise... if that's attitude, then that's just sad and has to be
4 > fixed by those who run that overlay (review, contribution guidelines).
5 >
6 > And I still think that the top 1 reason people run an overlay is because
7 > it's easier than contributing directly.
8 > A lot of overlay maintainers I tried to convince on getting more
9 > involved even said that.
10 >
11 > Even sunrise workflow has proven too slow and cumbersome... look at the
12 > commit history, it's constantly decreasing.
13 >
14 > Sure, reasons may vary, but there is not much positive to say about
15 > current gentoo workflow.
16
17 Since I was mentioned here - I am one of sage overlay[1] developers - it is
18 maybe worth sharing my point of view as someone that is not a Gentoo
19 developer. The recent discussion[2] with hasufell on our overlay might also be
20 interesting.
21
22 I have to agree that indeed it is easier to contribute to an overlay, in my
23 case because of
24
25 a) git and
26 b) github.
27
28 As far as I am up-to-date the main Gentoo repository is still managed by cvs,
29 right? Thats something I really would not like to work with. Not because cvs
30 is inferior to git (I hope no one feels offended) but because now I am so used
31 to and pleased with the workflow that comes with git that I can not even think
32 of changing that.
33
34 What I really love about github (and I don't think that similar platform
35 differ much here) is the fact that it allows me to comment on /everything/. I
36 can comment on commits that maybe lack something, which could then result in a
37 new Issue; a user could be faster than I and create a pull request that fixes
38 this problem. Maybe there is another mistake which I tell him there so he
39 adjusts his commit and I finally accept it. Sometimes, after some months I
40 wonder why we decided about some things the way we did and I can look it up in
41 the Issue. There is the _complete_ discussion with direct references to the
42 code and all people involved.
43
44 If there is a lession that I learned here, than that centralizing
45 communications and development in one place was beneficial for us. Whether
46 this also applies to the Gentoo project - well, I don't know. Right now there
47 are several mailing lists, IRC channels and the Bugzilla so in comparison to
48 our little overlay it is quite decentralized. Adding another way, e.g. via
49 github, could complicate the situation but it will defintely get the project
50 more user contributions (if that is needed).
51
52 In any case, I believe that the migration to git would be a huge step forward
53 and it would attract at least one pontential new developer ;). Any update on
54 this?
55
56 [1] https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
57 [2] https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/294