From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:44:50
1 On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:57 AM, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > My personal attitude: It is just not worth the effort to rewrite
4 > their build systems for the ~10 users out there. I have better
5 > things to do with my time and I think that these packages can
6 > live forever in the overlay and that is completely OK this way.
7
8 I think this is a fairly common issue, actually. Many ebuilds live
9 out in overlays (if they're lucky) or just in bugzilla (if not) simply
10 because they have QA issues that nobody wants to deal with. I've seen
11 ebuilds in bugzilla that get bumped as regularly as anything in the
12 tree.
13
14 QA can be a double-edged sword. Sometimes it can turn a good ebuild
15 into a great one. At other times it can result in a fair-to-good
16 ebuild leaving the tree entirely.
17
18 I don't see overlays as a problem though. The main issue I've seen
19 with them is when people make changes to the tree that requires
20 updating reverse dependencies they don't update overlays, and users
21 using overlays can end up being in a broken state for a time.
22 Obviously we can never control whether overlays get updated, but we
23 could require tree-wide updates like this to get announced, instead of
24 just having a tracking bug that only notifies maintainers of impacted
25 packages/etc. That would be more noise though, and likely
26 bikeshedding that those making the changes want to avoid. Or we can
27 just accept that those using overlays will have them break from time
28 to time.
29
30 Rich