From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:47:04
1 Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 >> So I'd be in favour of getting rid of them, if we make sure that
3 >> everybody always commits to the ChangeLog (Make it a repoman failure).
4 >> Side benefit of removing the need to double-commit from the hashes
5 >> changing.
8 > i have never understood why repoman doesn't automatically put the commit
9 > message into the ChangeLog.... (share your use case!)
10
11 Yeah I would like at least a switch that would call echangelog first and
12 then do its stuff, sunrise-commit which I use for overlays has -c for
13 this. Hm well I can make myself a wrapper but if it was already there,
14 it would be better :)
15
16 > taking this one more step ahead, the ChangeLog could perhaps be made a
17 > virtual file, which on demand is extracted from VCS metadata... now
18 > _that_ would save some bandwidth and space (no numbers, sorry).
19
20 Interesting idea, if that's possible with CVS... but I don't see how it
21 saves space and bandwith for rsync users.
22
23 > i am all for the removal of $Header:$, btw. the current double commits
24 > simply suck!
25
26 I would leave it as long as we use CVS, for the reasons others already
27 said (syncing changes to overlays which I myself used to do). But if we
28 move to some other VCS, it would destroy the beauty of atomic commits...
29 --
30 Vlastimil Babka (Caster)
31 Gentoo/Java
32 --