From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:37:14
1 Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> posted 448EF724.8010709@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 16 May 2006 17:41:24 +0000:
3
4 > Alec Warner wrote:
5 >> I would prefer to see the profile you are commiting then; do you have a
6 >> link?
7 >
8 > I haven't written it yet.
9
10 Herein lies the crux of the problem, IMO. Regardless of all the other
11 arguments made, I simply cannot believe it is reasonable to ask that
12 Gentoo devs give their blessing to add to the tree something that hasn't
13 yet even been written, let alone tested not to break anything with
14 existing portage.
15
16 I /am/ a bit skeptical that the solution as proposed would cause the sorts
17 of breakage some people seem to think it will. I /am/ cautiously
18 supportive of the proposal as outlined, provided it has been reasonably
19 tested as as an overlay or locally imposed tree structure, and that there
20 is a way for devs to independently test it themselves, but this? It's not
21 written yet, yet devs are being asked to support its addition live tree,
22 sight unseen, upon some description of a proposal of what it /might/ look
23 like?
24
25 Someone requested a patch, here worded as an overlay request, that devs
26 (and users who want to risk their necks <g> I'd strongly suggest
27 verifying the backups are updated and testing them previous to trying it)
28 could try, before a yeah or nay is given to the act of actually adding it
29 to the tree. I believe that to be a reasonable request.
30
31 Meanwhile, and possibly eliminating the need for the separate profiles,
32 the virtual/portage idea seems worthy of consideration, as others have
33 pointed out, quite independent of what other choices are eventually
34 offered. pkgcore or something else could find it equally helpful, and it
35 won't hurt to build in that flexibility now.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list