From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:45:33
1 On Sunday 11 April 2004 13:55, Tom St Denis wrote:
2 > I think a cool function [which I didn't see in the latest portage release]
3 > is a "snapshot" and restore set of functionality. e.g. you can snapshot
4 > the current install set and later restore (by adding/removing packages) as
5 > required.
6
7 What exactly do you mean by that? What irritates me is that "by
8 adding/removing packages". If you just want a list of all installed packages
9 you can already get it. What I'd understand by snapshotting is really
10 packaging a set of packages and their deps. Kind of a '-b' but after merging.
11
12 > Also any plans to optimize the portage files? 80k small files amounts to
13 > huge waste of space.
14
15 Depends on your filesystem. With certain filesystems you could adjust the
16 blocksize for /usr/portage/ to a smaller value (with a larger value
17 for /usr/portage/distfiles of course) or use reiserfs with tail packing on.
21 Alex
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list