From: Tom St Denis <tom@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:03:15
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On April 12, 2004 06:45 am, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
5 > On Sunday 11 April 2004 13:55, Tom St Denis wrote:
6 > > I think a cool function [which I didn't see in the latest portage
7 > > release] is a "snapshot" and restore set of functionality. e.g. you can
8 > > snapshot the current install set and later restore (by adding/removing
9 > > packages) as required.
10 >
11 > What exactly do you mean by that? What irritates me is that "by
12 > adding/removing packages". If you just want a list of all installed
13 > packages you can already get it. What I'd understand by snapshotting is
14 > really packaging a set of packages and their deps. Kind of a '-b' but after
15 > merging.
16
17 Well Ideally a command that simply emits a list of installed packages is what
18 I'm talking about. But specifically, it emits the list [and say GZIPs it at
19 the same time] into a db of "restore points".
20
21 So as another poster said I could do say
22
23 emerge restore "11/04/04"
24
25 If I installed something today that I didn't like. The trick is to make this
26 painless for the user so the user won't scream in horror and go install
27 Windows.
28
29 > > Also any plans to optimize the portage files? 80k small files amounts to
30 > > huge waste of space.
31 >
32 > Depends on your filesystem. With certain filesystems you could adjust the
33 > blocksize for /usr/portage/ to a smaller value (with a larger value
34 > for /usr/portage/distfiles of course) or use reiserfs with tail packing on.
35
36 Oh, ok so I'll just format my disk, reinstall Gentoo from scratch so that I
37 can not waste 200M of space on 80k small files.
38
39 That's not really user friendly. Could have done a JAR like setup for each
40 dir of the tree. e.g. all of app-text be one huge ZIP file [with no
41 compression]. Such a setup might be a little slower to add/remove files but
42 would waste less space.
43
44 The idea would make a little sense though in practice. When I do "emerge
45 sync" instead of fetching 1000s of small files I just check the timestamp on
46 the directory zips and download them wholesale. [Ok so maybe compression
47 makes sense here].
48
49 That way as a user I don't have to worry about inserting/deleting files from a
50 zip [which would take a while] only the server has todo it. In fact the
51 server could still use the "many files" approach and just zip on the fly when
52 a user syncs.
53
54 I know that would make things a bit more complicated since mirrors update via
55 "sync" as well. I guess you could just have two types of portage trees.
56 e.g. "packaged" and "straight" or something like that. End users would use
57 the "packaged" type [e.g. zip per category] and mirrors would use straight
58 [e.g. all 80k files].
59
60 Anyways, I'm just throwing out ideas here. Using the zip approach makes sense
61 for end users. First, it makes for faster syncing [less smaller files means
62 fewer metadata commands] and wastes much less space [and would be faster
63 since the kernel could cache it quicker!].
64
65 Tom
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list