From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:23:50
1 maillog: 12/04/2004-08:03:13(-0400): Tom St Denis types
2 > Oh, ok so I'll just format my disk, reinstall Gentoo from scratch so that I
3 > can not waste 200M of space on 80k small files.
4
5 You can always use a loopback device with a filesystem of your choice.
6 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=68215
7
8 > That's not really user friendly. Could have done a JAR like setup for each
9 > dir of the tree. e.g. all of app-text be one huge ZIP file [with no
10 > compression]. Such a setup might be a little slower to add/remove files but
11 > would waste less space.
12 >
13 > The idea would make a little sense though in practice. When I do "emerge
14 > sync" instead of fetching 1000s of small files I just check the timestamp on
15 > the directory zips and download them wholesale. [Ok so maybe compression
16 > makes sense here].
17
18 How is this method faster or in any way better than rsync?
21 ( Georgi Georgiev ( I don't need to compromise my principles, (
22 ) chutz@×××.net ) because they don't have the slightest )
23 ( +81(90)6266-1163 ( bearing on what happens to me anyway. -- (