From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: GnuCash 2.7+ Breaking Change
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:46:15
1 On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 22:38 +0300, Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:31 PM, Aaron W. Swenson <titanofold@gentoo.
3 > org> wrote:
4 > > Title: GnuCash 2.7+ Breaking Change
5 >
6 > Aaron, but why do we need this news item? 2.7 version is a
7 > development version that is not supposed to be used by end users. As
8 > far as I understand this backup is a temporary measure until stable
9 > release will be out. It's much better to have this version package
10 > masked. Then in package mask comment we could note the need for
11 > backup.
12
13 2.6 is insecure by 400+ ancient webkit-gtk security vulnerabilities, we
14 can't responsibly wait anymore. 2.7.3 was tested by Aaron (who uses it
15 daily) to work quite nicely.
16 I want to last rite gnucash-2.6 used webkit-gtk before the month is
17 over, as the maintainer of webkit-gtk, and if 2.7 isn't there, 2.6 will
18 simply be fully masked as well along it.
19
20 Regarding the Display-If-Installed, it should indeed be shown before
21 upgrade, in my opinion; otherwise so easy to already get things
22 migrated to new format before any backups are made. Then again, as 2.6
23 will go away soon anyway, the usefulness of these backups is limited,
24 without some local overlay. I didn't quite understand Ciaran mail; if
25 the header actually means "display when an upgrade to 2.7 is possible",
26 then that's best.
27
28 Regarding elog vs news, please keep in mind that this is limited to
29 ONLY those that have gnucash installed, so this isn't one of these
30 "will be shown forever in 5 years for fresh stage3 install starts". We
31 should be able to use per-package news items much more freely for leaf
32 packages.
35 Mart