From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <openhs@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: GnuCash 2.7+ Breaking Change
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:17:32
1 On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:46:04 +0200
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 22:38 +0300, Peter Volkov wrote:
5 > > On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:31 PM, Aaron W. Swenson
6 > > <titanofold@gentoo.
7 > > org> wrote:
8 > > > Title: GnuCash 2.7+ Breaking Change
9 > >
10 > > Aaron, but why do we need this news item? 2.7 version is a
11 > > development version that is not supposed to be used by end users. As
12 > > far as I understand this backup is a temporary measure until stable
13 > > release will be out. It's much better to have this version package
14 > > masked. Then in package mask comment we could note the need for
15 > > backup.
16 >
17 > 2.6 is insecure by 400+ ancient webkit-gtk security vulnerabilities,
18 > we can't responsibly wait anymore. 2.7.3 was tested by Aaron (who
19 > uses it daily) to work quite nicely.
20 > I want to last rite gnucash-2.6 used webkit-gtk before the month is
21 > over, as the maintainer of webkit-gtk, and if 2.7 isn't there, 2.6
22 > will simply be fully masked as well along it.
23
24 I assume that the motivation to get 2.7 stabilized early it to protect
25 users from potentional damages caused via webkit-gtk security
26 vulnerabilities. However, provided that I use GnuCash to display only
27 local web data (generated reports) I feel much more comfortable
28 to entrust my data to the stable 2.6 version rather than unstable 2.7
29 about which the upstream says:
30
31 "Unstable (development) releases are for testing purposes only. They
32 contain the newest features and improvements, but may also contain
33 serious bugs still. Don't install these releases for everyday use." [1]
34
35 "Due to the possibility of data corruption, unstable releases should
36 only be used on a copy of live GnuCash data." [2]
37
38 I think generated reports are typical use of webkit in GnuCash. Are
39 attack vectors so severe also in this case?
40
41 Thank you.
42
43 1. http://gnucash.org/download.phtml