From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:30:49
1 On 09/23/2015 04:40 AM, Todd Goodman wrote:
2 >
3 > We haven't had too many problems with it. Most of our problems seem to
4 > be with people having issues with git itself (it was new to almost
5 > everyone on the team) and not embracing a good workflow with it (or
6 > trying to only use git via Eclipse.)
7 >
8 > We have 80 or so Android repos and a much smaller handful of proprietary
9 > repos in use.
12 Sorry to harp on this, but does your single gerrit user have write
13 access to all 80 of your repos? Yours is internal so the risk is
14 limited, but naturally, if we set one up, it would have to be public.
15
16 If there's a bug in the web UI somewhere and someone figures out how to
17 make it run code, that would put all of our repos at risk. Even without
18 being able to run code, a bug might allow privilege escalation: someone
19 outside the e.g. portage project might figure out how to push to that
20 repo because all of the logic is in Java and not the filesystem.
21
22 The way we have it now, push access is granted through SSH and is
23 therefore tied to your user. Implementing users/groups/permissions in
24 code would really be a step backwards; this isn't a theoretical argument.
25
26 These issues can totally be fixed -- I'm not saying they're endemic to
27 web-based git hosting. But to move access control down to the filesystem
28 deviates from how everyone else does things. So first you need to spend
29 time getting familiar with the project, then you have to overhaul the
30 way it works, and finally you have to get upstream to acknowledge that
31 you aren't crazy and accept your docs/patches. That's a lot more work
32 than just setting it up.