From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 04:55:05
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 09/23/2015 05:30 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 > On 09/23/2015 04:40 AM, Todd Goodman wrote:
6 >>
7 >> We haven't had too many problems with it. Most of our problems
8 >> seem to be with people having issues with git itself (it was new
9 >> to almost everyone on the team) and not embracing a good workflow
10 >> with it (or trying to only use git via Eclipse.)
11 >>
12 >> We have 80 or so Android repos and a much smaller handful of
13 >> proprietary repos in use.
16 > Sorry to harp on this, but does your single gerrit user have write
17 > access to all 80 of your repos? Yours is internal so the risk is
18 > limited, but naturally, if we set one up, it would have to be
19 > public.
20 >
21 > If there's a bug in the web UI somewhere and someone figures out
22 > how to make it run code, that would put all of our repos at risk.
23 > Even without being able to run code, a bug might allow privilege
24 > escalation: someone outside the e.g. portage project might figure
25 > out how to push to that repo because all of the logic is in Java
26 > and not the filesystem.
27 >
28 > The way we have it now, push access is granted through SSH and is
29 > therefore tied to your user. Implementing users/groups/permissions
30 > in code would really be a step backwards; this isn't a theoretical
31 > argument.
32 >
33 > These issues can totally be fixed -- I'm not saying they're endemic
34 > to web-based git hosting. But to move access control down to the
35 > filesystem deviates from how everyone else does things. So first
36 > you need to spend time getting familiar with the project, then you
37 > have to overhaul the way it works, and finally you have to get
38 > upstream to acknowledge that you aren't crazy and accept your
39 > docs/patches. That's a lot more work than just setting it up.
42 I hadn't thought about that angle. If our access backbone is via SSH
43 (and thus the filesystem/machine users) then I'm really not sure how
44 to implement a GitLab or Gerrit instance while hooking into the
45 filesystem. Allowing users to open accounts in order to post bugs, etc
46 just isn't a great idea, imo, and duplicates the effort that already
47 exists in Bugzilla. Maybe it'd be smarter to find a way to `git-am`
48 patches from Bugzilla.
49
50 - --
51 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
52 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
53 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6