From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pacho@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:35:11
1 On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:20:00 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > El sáb, 29-09-2012 a las 20:40 +0200, Michał Górny escribió:
5 > > On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:45:07 +0200
6 > > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
9 > > > Hash: SHA1
10 > > >
11 > > > On 09/29/2012 05:37 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
12 > > > >
13 > > > > There isn't so much a problem with the current python-distutils-ng
14 > > > > eclass but rather it's to expand it to a more comprehensive
15 > > > > replacement for both distutils and python eclasses. In order to
16 > > > > do that efficiently, most of the core functionality should be moved
17 > > > > so that the new distutils is more like a wrapper to the new
18 > > > > python.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > This could certainly be done by patching the existing eclass, but
21 > > > > mgorny wants to use new eclass names instead of keeping the
22 > > > > current one. Hence the rename. I think that's about it..
23 > > > >
24 > > >
25 > > > In that case we are missing 95% of the features of python.eclass.
26 > >
27 > > Please list the features. Preferably, order them by usefulness, with
28 > > exact use cases.
31 > Personally, I usually run:
32 > - python_clean_py-compile_files -> Clean py-compile files to disable
33 > byte-compilation allowing us to drop all various ways of doing this that
34 > were living in the tree some time ago.
35
36 Hmm, what's the problem with compiling them? Do you mean some case when
37 the results of the compilation are different from the way done
38 by the eclass?
39
40 > - python_convert_shebangs -> but, I guess this is handled in a different
41 > way in your eclass, no? :/
42
43 Depends on what you need. To be honest, I haven't added any code for
44 custom script handling yet, just the usual distutils case.
45
46 A package which does not explicitly support multiple Python
47 implementations is a completely different things, needing more
48 discussion first and which actually may be handled through a separate
49 eclass if most code of python-r1 proves useless for it.
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny