From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changelogs
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:03:57
1 Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
3 >
4 >>>to get you upgrade information. While I can see a great benefit in
5 >>>putting important information into the changelog, I really can't see why
6 >>>portage should provide functions to read a changelog, when nearly all
7 >>>packages provide the same information on their homepages.
8 >>
9 >> Because the functionality already exists and is in stable portage?
10 >>Because some developers maintain system critical packages that can cause
11 >>large amounts of breakage and get complaints from users when things
12 >>break? Gentoo is a distribution and there is some responsibility to
13 >>provide users upgrade paths when packages switch versions. Gentoo isn't
14 >>just portage, IMHO.
17 > Note, we're talking about upstream's changelog, not portage's one. There
18 > is no feature to read upstream's changelog through portage *before*
19 > merging it. I agree that Gentoo is more than Portage, and it
20 > definitively should provide upgrade paths where necessary, but not by
21 > implementing such a feature. It's far easier to stick a note into the
22 > Changelog/post_pkg() saying "There were major changes in this release,
23 > please carefully read the changelog at http://www.upstream.org/."
24 >
25 A. In some instances, those notes never show up in the changelog
26 B. pkg_postinst() doesn't cut it, because the damage is already done in
27 that phase.
28
29 I would be very supportive of A. Just a note in the gentoo changelog
30 saying Warning: this upgrade could cause problems, see the project
31 homepage for details.
32
33 Right now it is not always possible to destinguish between a safe
34 upgrade and one that the developers know is dangerous. I am simply
35 advocating a standard string in the changelog ( so that it's grep-able )
36 warning the user about potential problems. No long speeches in the
37 changelog about it.
38
39 > Regards,
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list