From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changelogs
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:41:40
1 Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
2 >> to get you upgrade information. While I can see a great benefit in
3 >> putting important information into the changelog, I really can't see why
4 >> portage should provide functions to read a changelog, when nearly all
5 >> packages provide the same information on their homepages.
6 >
7 > Because the functionality already exists and is in stable portage?
8 > Because some developers maintain system critical packages that can cause
9 > large amounts of breakage and get complaints from users when things
10 > break? Gentoo is a distribution and there is some responsibility to
11 > provide users upgrade paths when packages switch versions. Gentoo isn't
12 > just portage, IMHO.
13
14 Note, we're talking about upstream's changelog, not portage's one. There
15 is no feature to read upstream's changelog through portage *before*
16 merging it. I agree that Gentoo is more than Portage, and it
17 definitively should provide upgrade paths where necessary, but not by
18 implementing such a feature. It's far easier to stick a note into the
19 Changelog/post_pkg() saying "There were major changes in this release,
20 please carefully read the changelog at http://www.upstream.org/."
21
22 Regards,
25 Simon Stelling