From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI usage
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:39:47
1 On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh posted on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:11:02 +0100 as excerpted:
3 > Some minimum time/versions (say six months) before a PM drops support for
4 > it, on PM upgrades it starts warning about the coming drop of EAPI-X
5 > support, giving the user a reasonable deadline (the same six months) to
6 > upgrade or uninstall said packages as PM versions after that date will be
7 > dropping support.
8
9 I actually don't have a problem with this. If there were a
10 coordinated effort to completely deprecate an EAPI and the PM teams
11 vouched that it would make their life easier, I'd be happy to be a
12 part of a concerted effort to bump everything to where it needs to be.
13 If we made the transition long then it would be mostly transparent to
14 users. If they had some odd package still installed with an old EAPI
15 they could always re-install it to clean up the installed package
16 database.
17
18 My main concern is doing bumps all the time just for their own sake.
19
20 Rich