From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI usage
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 03:35:34
1 Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:38:11 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > My main concern is doing bumps all the time just for their own sake.
4
5 Yes. That's why I didn't tackle that side at all. But I've seen the
6 "PM's can never drop support for an EAPI once adopted" thing before, and
7 while there's quite a possibility I'm missing something as I'm no PM
8 expert, it does seem to me that rings hollow; that an EAPI drop COULD be
9 done, without too much disrupting either users or devs (PM or otherwise).
10
11 But as the experts say otherwise, there probably /is/ something I'm
12 missing, which is why I asked.
13
14 Meanwhile, I'll definitely allow that there's often a big chasm between
15 "possible" and "worth the trouble", too, and it's quite within the realm
16 of reason that it's simply "not worth the trouble" at this point, even if
17 very much possible, and even likely worth the trouble once we get upto
18 say 10 EAPIs or some such.
19
20 Meanwhile(2), I (cautiously) support the idea I've seen before of
21 deprecating and gradually removing at least EAPI-1, and probably 2 and 3
22 as well over time. People /have/ pointed out that core system packages,
23 toolchain, etc, may well need to stay at EAPI-0 virtually "forever".
24 That's the exception I mentioned with EAPI-0 thus being an exception as
25 well, thus the focus on 1-3. But once 1-3 are out of the tree for a
26 sufficient period, I really /don't/ see why the method I described can't
27 be used to drop their support from the PMs, as well, and expect that
28 regardless of whether it's worth tackling as a project starting today, at
29 some point, it'll be worth doing.
30
31 OTOH, I can see someone, possibly concerned about the historical
32 implications (so "gentoo historians" at least, can try long deprecated
33 ebuilds and see how they work), might wish to maintain support for every
34 EAPI "forever". But I don't believe it should be mandatory, and in
35 practice, I'd venture that due to simple code rot once there haven't been
36 any packages of a particular EAPI in the tree or in wide circulation for
37 awhile, even if support /does/ officially continue, it'll likely be
38 broken if anyone tries to use it, say five years or a decade later. Once
39 that starts being a major concern, why /not/ just dump it. The
40 historians can go find an old stage tarball with an old PM that supported
41 the EAPIs they're interested in, if it comes to that.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman