From: "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for items for September 13 council meeting
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 14:29:55
1 2011/9/7 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
3 >
4 >> Start collecting ideas for EAPI5.
5 >
6 > I suggest that EAPI 5 should include the two features that have been
7 > omitted from EAPI 4 [1,2].
8 >
9 > Apart from this, I think we should be more careful for the next EAPI,
10 > in order to avoid such long delays as we had with EAPI 4. One possible
11 > solution would be to only accept features where a preliminary
12 > implementation in Portage is available.
13 Agreed the wait last time was really bad.
14 >
15 >> I myself would like PATCHES array to be default in src_prepare phase
16 >> and some solution for runtime optional deps, Instead of elog in
17 >> postinst something like Recommended from rpm.
18 >
19 > Looks reasonable (if an implementation is ready). Although I don't
20 > understand how it is related to rpm.
21
22 Well the patches code is in base eclass.
23
24 For Recommended it works like this:
25 blabla.spec
26 Recommended: xf86-video-ati
27
28 zypper in blabla
29 ...
30 You might consider installing these additional packages:
31 xf86-video-ati
34 It for sure needs more thinking as this is just basic idea. It might
35 even take into account that if you install the recommended patckage
36 with oneshot it should not be depcleaned unless all recommending
37 packages are gone too, and so on.