From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: TomWij@g.o, pacho@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets in the tree
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:16:19
1 Dnia 2013-08-15, o godz. 11:09:50
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:10:02 +0200
5 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > El mié, 14-08-2013 a las 23:53 +0800, Patrick Lauer escribió:
8 > > [...]
9 > > > Well, it should reflect reality.
10 > > >
11 > > > PMS is still broken as much as it does not reflect the state of
12 > > > portage before PMS was written, and we've had to patch it up a few
13 > > > times to make it coherent, plus it is still lacking half the things
14 > > > that would make it useful as a standard.
15 > > >
16 > > > Your academic interpretation of standard as a platonic ideal
17 > > > disconnected from reality serves no purpose.
18 > > >
19 > >
20 > > On this topic I agree with Patrick: I don't fully understand why
21 > > things (like in_iuse from eutils.eclass) are missing from PMS.
22 >
23 > Why do things that can be in an eclass need to be in the PMS?
24 >
25 > Or more specifically, why would you like to see in_iuse in the PMS?
26
27 in_iuse() is a cheap hack that does not confirm to the PMS.
28
29 The problem is that PMS provided us with no way to query incremental
30 variables like $IUSE. It makes the value of such variables 'undefined'.
31 Which, shortly saying, means something like 'you can't query it'.
32
33 Therefore, in_iuse() is broken and unsupported and you will be damned
34 for using it. The only reason I added it to eutils.eclass was because
35 people did it in even a more broken way. It's mostly like 'we know it's
36 broken, so better keep it confined'.
37
38 What future EAPI could do is to provide a legitimate way of querying
39 it. Not that I really agree with doing that but it's not my call how
40 people mis-design eclasses, and that's out-of-topic here.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny