From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New eclass: mate
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 02:04:36
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 04/11/2016 08:14 PM, NP-Hardass wrote:
5 > On 04/11/2016 01:09 AM, NP-Hardass wrote:
6 >> Greetings all,
7 >
8 >> As all potential new eclasses are supposed to be discussed here,
9 >> I thought I'd file a message and see if anyone had anything to
10 >> contribute on the matter.
11 >
12 >> I'm in the midst of a major version bump for the entirety of the
13 >> MATE desktop environment, consisting of 40-50 packages. There is
14 >> a huge amount of repetition in my ebuilds, and a lot of things
15 >> are formulaic (SRC_URI, HOMEPAGE, EGIT_REPO_URI, inherits,
16 >> src_prepare, etc). As such, I think that moving all of that to
17 >> an eclass would greatly simplify my life and my ebuilds, so I
18 >> thought I'd look into creating an eclass.
19 >
20 >> Any opinions either way? Thanks in advance.
25 > A little background, MATE is a fork of GNOME, so there are many
26 > things in common, however, the two aren't always in sync. As such,
27 > there is often code reuse, but not always. For example, GNOME has
28 > deprecated GNOME_DEBUG macros whereas MATE has not done so yet.
29 >
30 > Attached are two eclasses mate-desktop.org.eclass and mate.eclass.
31 >
32 > mate-desktop.org.eclass mimics the gnome.org eclass. It defines a
33 > couple of useful variables, as well as sets SRC_URI or
34 > EGIT_REPO_URI for a live ebuild.
35 >
36 > mate.eclass is supposed to parallel gnome2.eclass. A couple of
37 > notes: mate-desktop.org.eclass is necessary to override all of the
38 > defaults in gnome.org.eclass which are not applicable to MATE. The
39 > src_prepare function is borrowed from autotools-utils. With EAPI
40 > 6, if any user is capable of modifying the build system via
41 > eapply_user, I'd like to be able to detect and regenerate the build
42 > system accordingly. Additionally, upstream does not supply
43 > Makefiles or configure scripts for live ebuilds, so I always have
44 > to run eautoreconf in those cases. Stubs: Well, you will probably
45 > notice that I have stubs to the gnome2 remaining functions. This
46 > was done for several reasons. 1) in the event that the gnome2
47 > eclass goes in a different direction than MATE, it's easy to switch
48 > our own implementation, and 2) if I don't and I have reference to
49 > the gnome2 eclass, I have to explicitly inherit it in all ebuilds,
50 > which somewhat defeats the point the indirection gained by having
51 > the mate eclass. I'd have to inherit gnome2 mate mate-desktop.org
52 > in every ebuild to ensure that everything is inherited properly.
53 > It's a little bit messy, but still doable. But for the previous
54 > reason, built in independence from the gnome eclass if needed, it
55 > seems much easier to me to stub out gnome2 in the meantime .
58 Added new function to wrap around a MATE autotools function
59 mate-doc-common and add it to src_prepare
60
61 - --
62 NP-Hardass

mate.eclass text/plain
mate.eclass.sig application/pgp-signature