From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about WIPE_TMP change
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:55:59
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 >
3 > Should an elog statement been put into the ebuild...maybe.
4 > I leave that up to the maintainer to decide what is important enough to
5 > be logged, and they clearly thought this wasn't in this case.
6
7 I think that this would probably warrant an elog. Sure, anybody who
8 knows the "correct" way to admin unix doesn't put anything important in
9 /tmp - but educating our users before blowing away their data isn't a
10 bad thing. We shouldn't assume our users are idiots, but this is an
11 obscure enough piece of admin knowledge that I think that users will be
12 impacted by the change.
13
14 Doesn't impact me one way or another - in my case both /tmp and /var/tmp
15 are tmpfs filesystems. However, I do have a few longer-duration "temp"
16 folders on my system that get cleaned by tmpreaper but is used for stuff
17 that is nice to keep around a little longer.
18 --
19 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list