From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] integrating solaris overlay into main portage
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:43:56
1 Hi all,
2
3 i always feared in asking this because of some typical flamewars, however.
4
5 I am now in a company which is actively using Solaris 10 and Gentoo. We're
6 deploying some house-written software onto both using the portage system (!).
7
8 However, knowing that portage for Solaris (10) is only available via a prefix
9 is not the problem, but knowing that for solaris you have to use a completely
10 different portage tree which is just lagging behind is a real pain.
11
12 i'm not that familiar with this prefixed development as the maintainers
13 itself, but i don't think it's a big deal to tag those ebuilds with
14 solaris-x86 (for example) that are $EPREFIX aware, isn't it?
15
16 The benifit: we have so many ebuilds in the tree that just need keywording
17 and/or a simple $EPREFIX addition. This shouldn't hurt any primary package
18 maintainer in finding any of these in their ebuilds, in fact, i'd be happy to
19 know there's yet another package that can be installed using gentoo's portage
20 on yet another architecture.
21
22 How do you feel with that idea?
23