From: Eric Noack <eric.noack@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo kernel setup question
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 02:45:02
1 Am Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:17:27 +0200
2 schrieb Henti Smith <bain@××××××.org>:
3
4 > Hi there :)
5 >
6 > Just a quick question regarding the include files for linux kernel on gentoo.
7 >
8 > I see as with most distro's there is a header and source install (emerge)
9 > so when I update to the latest source ... does this update the headers as well ?
10 >
11 > I'm asking this as I saw that /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm is actual directories.
12 > I usually soft link /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux and /usr/include/asm to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386
13 > and since /usr/src/linux is linked to current kernel .. I always have my running kernel headers for everything else ?
14 >
15 > Is this a bad way of doing things ...
16 >
17 > comments ?
18 >
19 It actually is a bad way of doing things,
20 the headers in /usr/include should always keep the same you did compile the important librarys like glibc to.
21
22 if you replace this headers and there actually is a change in them you have to re-compile everything that uses that part,
23 which would be glibc, Xlibs, ..., ...
24
25 so its just usual to keep the header version there u used to compile glibc.
26
27 Corvus V Corax
32 > Henti Smith
34 > gentoo-dev mailing list