From: "Brian D. Harring" <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: where goes Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:42:07
1 On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 05:31:43PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > The only things I could see being needed out of portage itself is the
3 > ability to control "emerge" commands remotely, such as forcing an update
4 > of apache to $version to resolve a vulnerability.
5
6 The requirements of portage, or whatever component supplies
7 (essentially) pkg management of remote boxes is going to be a bit more
8 complex then just pushing emerge commands out; aside from config data,
9 it'll probably centralize the vdb type contents somewhere, let alone
10 avoiding N copies of the ebuild tree on each server.
11
12 Basically, whatever daemon is running clientside for all of this will
13 have to support a good bit of handing off commands to portage, hence
14 the interest (since from my point of view, it's a starting point).
17 > Some things I could see as needed:
18 >
19 > 1. applying updates on any file that is under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
20 > md5/file-size matches that in /var/db for the file without user
21 > interactio
22
23 That would have to be determined prior to starting the update push.
24 I'd think basically a CONFIG_PROTECT limited scan of boxes to be
25 updated, verifying things are in order according to the vdb (whether
26 remote or local to that box) probably would fly.
29 > 2. automatic removal of files under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
30 > md5/file-size matches that in /var/db during unmerge
31
32 current vdb implementation relies on md5/file-size, future should rely
33 on refcount, and be a good bit more configurable.
36 > > It's not an overnight thing, glep19 (stable portage tree) addresses a
37 > > chunk of concerns when/if it's implemented, but I'm a bit more
38 > > interested in the the other tools people desire alongside.
39 Offhand, responding to my own snippet, I'd love to know what's going
40 on with glep19...
43 > As am I. The Installer is one such project. We do not have any project
44 > that I am aware of that is designed to resolve the problem of remotely
45 > managing a server. There is nothing for pushing config changes/package
46 > updates/new packages. There would need to be some interface for doing
47 > these things. Stop by any trade show, such as LWE, and you'll see guys
48 > pushing their wares on remotely managing Linux. We should provide
49 > something like this ourselves.
50 >
51 > eg. If I want to change the subnet mask or default router on 50 machines
52 > on my network, I should be able to do so via a simple interface and have
53 > the work done automatically.
54
55 Approach I've been thinking about (that fits semi-neatly exempting
56 collision-protect) is essentially config pkgs, binding them on the fly
57 to pkgs being pushed out. Essentially, base apache pkg (that out of
58 an ebuild tree), with it's depend tweaked automatically to pull in a
59 matching configuration pkg.
60
61 Pushing out config updates wouldn't be too hard if handled in this
62 manner, although generation of the config pkgs themselves would be a
63 bit tricky.
66 > > Re: a drop-in solution, considering that gentoo is effectively all
67 > > over the map (seriously, look at the tree), define the profile for the
68 > > drop-in; drop-in ftp, drop-in web server, drop-in mosix node... etc.
69 >
70 > I meant a drop-in management solution, not a specific set of server
71 > profiles, though those could be created with the Installer. In fact, I
72 > see the Installer as one of the first pieces of the framework necessary
73 > for deployment and management of a large number of servers. Once the
74 > netfe interface is completed with the Installer, you will be able to PXE
75 > boot your server and have it load a specific installer profile, and it
76 > will install Gentoo to those specifications. Beyond that, we lose
77 > control of the server and must manually perform all other actions.
78 Niete.
79
80 > > Specifics...
81 > >
82 > > Hell, I have yet to see what I would define as a proper solution for
83 > > config manamagent for N gentoo boxes. NFS solution possibly, but that
84 > > seems a bit hackish to me.
85 >
86 > There isn't a proper solution yet. Honestly, something like a
87 > repository holding configuration information with revision control would
88 > probably be best, so you can revert changes. There are quite a few
89 > systems like this out for Red Hat and others, but nothing that is
90 > Gentoo-specific, or even Gentoo-capable, as far as I know. We should
91 > beat people to the punch and design one ourselves.
92 >
93 > The main things we need to provide are:
94 >
95 > Provisioning - building a server from bare metal to some pre-determined
96 > state
97 Installer...
98
99 > Management - being able to make changes to existing servers without
100 > manually logging into each to make the changes
101 Domain class should provide for it
102 > Updates - this somewhat goes with management, but a facility for
103 > disseminating patches or updated packages to servers
104 Same as above
107 > Our tools. Currently, we have very few "Gentoo tools" used for managing
108 > a system. We would need to define the requirements for these tools, and
109 > then work on ways of getting them built. It's like I said, I think the
110 > primary weakness in Gentoo's enterprise adoption is the need for each
111 > company to reinvent the wheel on their own deployment. If we had a set
112 > of extensible tools for managing Gentoo machines, then companies would
113 > have a framework for building upon to meet their own needs. Why does
114 > everyone, for example, need to invent their own way of adding users to
115 > their network? Why can't we provide some method and allow them to
116 > customize it and extend it?
117 glep27 comes to mind re: users, although that's not management of
118 samba users (fex).
121 > > Mentioned management tools, well, get into specifics; pxe network
122 > > installs/imaging? Single tree/cache for N servers? Ability to push
123 > > updates out to a specific box, or set of servers? Integration of
124 > > portage contents db with IDS tools?
125 >
126 > PXE installs is on its way. Being able to share the tree/caches would
127 > definitely be of benefit. I already discussed updates. I hadn't even
128 > considered the IDS integration, but that is an awesome idea. How about
129 > configuration file management?
130
131 Configuration file management, as long as it's centralized, can be
132 slightly bastardized as pkgs for pushing/updating. If that's the
133 case, it should be possible to avoid reinventing the wheel for
134 handling it- hence the IDS comment. Verification of config's prior to
135 stomping them on an upgrade.
136
137 > Asset management? Inventory database?
138 No good answer on that one, since it's outside the ken of what my area
139 of interest (portage) :)
140 Offhand, I'd expect whatever method is used to push commands down via
141 the domain class, probably can be extended to add these additional
142 knobs. It really depends on what you're trying to query though,
143 cpuinfo/df, or license management...
146 > > > Portage really has nothing to do with deployment or management. In
147 > > > fact, the only thing it really does is package management, which is
148 > > > probably why it is called a package management tool, and not an
149 > > > enterprise resource manager.
150 > >
151 > > Any enterprise resource manager is going to have to fool with pkgs at
152 > > some point- that's my line of interest in this.
153 >
154 > Correct. I think my meaning was that we need to look at things
155 > *besides* package management. You guys seem to already have a good idea
156 > of the things we need and I've seen progress towards making portage more
157 > enterprise-friendly with some of the features planned for the future.
158 >
159 > The main thing we need is a powerful portage API that allows complete
160 > control of portage without using "emerge" at the command line.
161
162 Heh, what, current api isn't usable? :)
163 Yeah, api is an area needing improvement.
166 > Some form of GUI (and console) tools capable of controlling every aspect
167 > of any given set of Gentoo servers within an enterprise, from birth
168 > until death.
169 Oh... just that. 'k. :)
170
171 re: the remote assist/control of a box, I'd wonder what could be
172 handled via ldap (auth) and use flag...
173 ~harring