From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: where goes Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:34:43
1 On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 14:37 -0500, Brian D. Harring wrote:
2 > Elaborate on what you explicitly want out of portage please- the
3 > domain concept (aside from being useful design wise) *should* allow
4 > groupping of boxes (groupping of domains really) behind it, so you can
5 > effectively have a set of boxes, pushing changes to each.
6 >
7 > Mind you no code written, but current design is intended to allow
8 > remote chunks to be swapped in/out of portagelib on the fly
9 > (including the actual portage configuration).
10
11 The only things I could see being needed out of portage itself is the
12 ability to control "emerge" commands remotely, such as forcing an update
13 of apache to $version to resolve a vulnerability.
14
15 Besides the back-end portage pieces, there would need to be a front-end
16 interface for performing these tasks.
17
18 > Better angle of discussion rather then "we aren't there yet" is the
19 > specifics of what is needed to *get* there in peoples opinion.
20
21 Agreed completely.
22
23 Some things I could see as needed:
24
25 1. applying updates on any file that is under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
26 md5/file-size matches that in /var/db for the file without user
27 interaction
28 2. automatic removal of files under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
29 md5/file-size matches that in /var/db during unmerge
30
31 > It's not an overnight thing, glep19 (stable portage tree) addresses a
32 > chunk of concerns when/if it's implemented, but I'm a bit more
33 > interested in the the other tools people desire alongside.
34
35 As am I. The Installer is one such project. We do not have any project
36 that I am aware of that is designed to resolve the problem of remotely
37 managing a server. There is nothing for pushing config changes/package
38 updates/new packages. There would need to be some interface for doing
39 these things. Stop by any trade show, such as LWE, and you'll see guys
40 pushing their wares on remotely managing Linux. We should provide
41 something like this ourselves.
42
43 eg. If I want to change the subnet mask or default router on 50 machines
44 on my network, I should be able to do so via a simple interface and have
45 the work done automatically.
46
47 > Re: a drop-in solution, considering that gentoo is effectively all
48 > over the map (seriously, look at the tree), define the profile for the
49 > drop-in; drop-in ftp, drop-in web server, drop-in mosix node... etc.
50
51 I meant a drop-in management solution, not a specific set of server
52 profiles, though those could be created with the Installer. In fact, I
53 see the Installer as one of the first pieces of the framework necessary
54 for deployment and management of a large number of servers. Once the
55 netfe interface is completed with the Installer, you will be able to PXE
56 boot your server and have it load a specific installer profile, and it
57 will install Gentoo to those specifications. Beyond that, we lose
58 control of the server and must manually perform all other actions.
59
60 > Specifics...
61 >
62 > Hell, I have yet to see what I would define as a proper solution for
63 > config manamagent for N gentoo boxes. NFS solution possibly, but that
64 > seems a bit hackish to me.
65
66 There isn't a proper solution yet. Honestly, something like a
67 repository holding configuration information with revision control would
68 probably be best, so you can revert changes. There are quite a few
69 systems like this out for Red Hat and others, but nothing that is
70 Gentoo-specific, or even Gentoo-capable, as far as I know. We should
71 beat people to the punch and design one ourselves.
72
73 The main things we need to provide are:
74
75 Provisioning - building a server from bare metal to some pre-determined
76 state
77 Management - being able to make changes to existing servers without
78 manually logging into each to make the changes
79 Updates - this somewhat goes with management, but a facility for
80 disseminating patches or updated packages to servers
81
82 > Moot point frankly, considering we're all volunteers; someone
83 > *could* get off their butts and start up an attempt to provide hand
84 > holding (effectively what you're coloring the management arg as)
85 > services, but even if they did, the followup arg would be that you
86 > can't yet trust this new support company, because they're new.
87 > Etc.
88
89 Not entirely moot, as a company could be formed in cooperation with the
90 Foundation, as I stated earlier in the thread. This symbiotic
91 relationship would give the new company a bit more credit, as it will be
92 supported by the Foundation. This could be a Foundation-owned company,
93 or a completely separate entity. Anyway, this isn't so much my point,
94 as many people *are* willing to forgo having a human voice on the end of
95 a phone.
96
97 > Basically, we don't have control over that portion, so... what
98 > can be mangled that we *do* have control over, and has an effect?
99
100 Our tools. Currently, we have very few "Gentoo tools" used for managing
101 a system. We would need to define the requirements for these tools, and
102 then work on ways of getting them built. It's like I said, I think the
103 primary weakness in Gentoo's enterprise adoption is the need for each
104 company to reinvent the wheel on their own deployment. If we had a set
105 of extensible tools for managing Gentoo machines, then companies would
106 have a framework for building upon to meet their own needs. Why does
107 everyone, for example, need to invent their own way of adding users to
108 their network? Why can't we provide some method and allow them to
109 customize it and extend it?
110
111 > Mentioned management tools, well, get into specifics; pxe network
112 > installs/imaging? Single tree/cache for N servers? Ability to push
113 > updates out to a specific box, or set of servers? Integration of
114 > portage contents db with IDS tools?
115
116 PXE installs is on its way. Being able to share the tree/caches would
117 definitely be of benefit. I already discussed updates. I hadn't even
118 considered the IDS integration, but that is an awesome idea. How about
119 configuration file management? Asset management? Inventory database?
120 How about a "remote assistance" feature? Since Gentoo is not only used
121 on servers, but could also be deployed on the workstation, we should
122 also provide tools for managing and supporting them, too. What about
123 some form of policy enforcement? Things like turning on Remote Desktop
124 Sharing in KDE/Gnome, so IT staff can assist users with issues.
125
126 > > Portage really has nothing to do with deployment or management. In
127 > > fact, the only thing it really does is package management, which is
128 > > probably why it is called a package management tool, and not an
129 > > enterprise resource manager.
130 >
131 > Any enterprise resource manager is going to have to fool with pkgs at
132 > some point- that's my line of interest in this.
133
134 Correct. I think my meaning was that we need to look at things
135 *besides* package management. You guys seem to already have a good idea
136 of the things we need and I've seen progress towards making portage more
137 enterprise-friendly with some of the features planned for the future.
138
139 The main thing we need is a powerful portage API that allows complete
140 control of portage without using "emerge" at the command line.
141
142 > > Gentoo is currently unmaintainable at this scale without a significant
143 > > investment in infrastructure and development to make the system
144 > > manageable. Think of it this way, if I can pay 4 developers to work on
145 > > this project for 6 months, and each developer makes $50,000 a year, or I
146 > > can pay Novell $100,000 and have the system in place in 2 weeks, which
147 > > do you think I would do? This is the exact reason why Gentoo is not
148 > > used in the enterprise more. There is simply too high a barrier of
149 > > entry into making a usable and manageable Gentoo deployment.
150
151 > Or, you find a collection of trained coder monkeys who are oddballs
152 > who might have an interest in implementing this stuff on their own
153 > time, and try to nudge them in the correct direction; no, this isn't a
154 > solution, but again, having an ent. solution (going by your statement)
155 > isn't going to be funded by anyone.
156
157 I meant this to mean $company pays developers to implement this for
158 themselves, whereas Novell/Red Hat have already paid for most of this
159 work on their own distributions. The idea being that we are much more
160 likely to get enterprise adoption if we have some tools in place, even
161 if rudimentary in comparison, where currently we have nothing.
162
163 > Ok, fine. So it goes.
164 >
165 > Meanwhile, reiterating my point, I'd rather see a discussion of what
166 > people *want* in the way of tools, then "we aren't there yet".
167 > Generally known that you have to roll your own somewhat for tools,
168 > well, would rather know what people want then see then another round
169 > of kicking the dead horse.
170
171 Quite simply:
172
173 Some form of GUI (and console) tools capable of controlling every aspect
174 of any given set of Gentoo servers within an enterprise, from birth
175 until death.
178 Chris Gianelloni
180 Games - Developer
181 Gentoo Linux