From: Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 02:11:03
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 19:02, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
> Since unmerging python results in a broken system, I'm not sure how this > "pollutes" anything.  The system set is to maintain a working and bootable > system that can install packages and portage requires python to work.  What > good is a Gentoo system without a working package manager?
There are two issues here: * Avoiding hacks for deciding which packages are needed for system * Helping users avoid the dangerous mistake of crippling the package manager. Here's how I see this break down. To avoid crippling the package manager, the user must be warned of an action that will cripple the package manager. If removing python cripples the package manager, then warn the user. It's quite simple. Adding python to the system set is messy, as pointed out, but somehow there must be a way to determine that python is needed by the package manager. The last remaining option (without adding any new features) is to track on which packages are required by the system set and warning about removing any packages required by any package in the system set. This seems like a good solution. I could also argue that using "emerge -C" period is dangerous, as some here have mentioned. As far as I can tell, the best way to remove a package is to edit the package out of /var/lib/portage/world file and then letting portage safely remove packages via "--depclean". (This is outside the current topic, of course, so if anyone wants to seriously propose this it should be re-posted under a new subject heading.) -- Jacob "For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now — and never to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened." Are you ready?

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>