From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] config_eth0 deprecated - new name?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:07:46
1 On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:04:38PM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 April 2008 21:46:18 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 04:21:27PM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
4 > > > OK, it seems that hard lines in multipart configs seem to be an issue, so
5 > > > I'm doing this now.
6 > > >
7 > > > For a summary of why we're using hard lines you can read this thread
8 > > > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/45756/focus=45765
9 > >
10 > > Do you plan to reimplement parsing of the complete ip syntax for
11 > > addresses and routes?
12 >
13 > Not at all. If I did then we're back to using newlines.
14 > Basically we need something like
15 > ipaddrs=address1 address2 address3
16 > for addresses, and
17 > routes=dest gateway dest gateway dest gateway
18 > or
19 > routes=route1 route2 route3
20 > route1=dest gateway
21 > route2=dest gateway
22 > route3=dest gateway
23 > for routes
24 The problem in this is that you cannot set the properties for each
25 address or route. Please don't take us back to the stoneage of writing
26 the advanced networking configuration manually.
27
28 As an example of an ip address line with properties:
29 ${ext}.30/32 broadcast - scope host
30
31 An an example of a route with properties:
32 ${int}.192/27 dev bond0 mtu 1500 table internal scope link
33 (my normal mtu on the internal link is 9k, but part of the subnet runs
34 at 1500 for netbooting on dumb cards)
35
36 Doing these in {pre,post}{up,down} means we basically end up
37 reimplementing the baselayout1 array-based config manually in the
38 blocks. I already do that for the ip_rule_runner block.
39
40 > No, we won't support that. However, we will bring back ip ranges for the last
41 > ocet like so
42 > 1.2.3.4-10/24
43 I care about the address ranges far less than the additional properties.
44
45 > After seeing that I take it you'ed vote for the BSD named routing style?
46 I'm ambivalent about the naming scheme - I do care greatly about the
47 easy of configuration for the properties.
50 Robin Hugh Johnson
51 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
52 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
53 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85