From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] config_eth0 deprecated - new name?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:04:42
1 On Wednesday 23 April 2008 21:46:18 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 04:21:27PM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > OK, it seems that hard lines in multipart configs seem to be an issue, so
4 > > I'm doing this now.
5 > >
6 > > For a summary of why we're using hard lines you can read this thread
7 > > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/45756/focus=45765
8 >
9 > Do you plan to reimplement parsing of the complete ip syntax for
10 > addresses and routes?
11
12 Not at all. If I did then we're back to using newlines.
13 Basically we need something like
14 ipaddrs=address1 address2 address3
15 for addresses, and
16 routes=dest gateway dest gateway dest gateway
17 or
18 routes=route1 route2 route3
19 route1=dest gateway
20 route2=dest gateway
21 route3=dest gateway
22 for routes
23
24 There will be no special ip or ifconfig parsing - it's a pita. especially
25 trying to mange 2 variants of linux ifconfig onto iproute2 (and back) and
26 trying to get the same style to work with BSD ifconfig. Been there, too much
27 pain. So it's the simple route. Want anything more powerful, well we have the
28 direct
29 ifconfig_eth0=
30 ip_eth0=
31 directives. And if they don't work then use a pre-up.
34 > See my attached example from work, we use a lot of the various options
35 > on stuff.
36
37 No, we won't support that. However, we will bring back ip ranges for the last
38 ocet like so
39 1.2.3.4-10/24
40
41 After seeing that I take it you'ed vote for the BSD named routing style?
42
43 Thanks
44
45 Roy