From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) Updates
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:25:56
1 On Monday 18 October 2004 1:20 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:27:09PM +0100 or thereabouts, Ciaran McCreesh
3 wrote:
4 > > GLEP 29 covers grouping USE flags to simplify initial selection. The
5 > > short version is that it proposes USE="@DESKTOP @KDE foo bar".
6 > >
7 > > An updated draft since the previous posting is attached. Updates are:
8 > > * clarify some of the wording
9 > > * explicitly state that comments are allowed in the group files.
10 > >
11 > > Feedback encouraged.
12 >
13 > Sorry if this was discussed earlier, but why not support -@GROUP? IMO,
14 > negative USE flags are a key strength of the system and I'd hate to see
15 > groupings drop that support. I do understand the chaos that may ensue if
16 > you support negative flags within a group, but I'd like the ability to use
17 > negative groups.
18
19 As someone else mentioned, people might put "@KDE -@GNOME" and wonder why X is
20 missing... However, I would agree that -@GROUP can be useful and another
21 workaround for the problem should be provided... Perhaps USE dependencies (eg
22 USE=kde relies on USE=X for most archs) could solve this (and also take care
23 of the grouping issue altogether), but that would add another level of
24 complexity.
25 --
26 Luke-Jr
27 Developer, Utopios