From: Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) Updates
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:33:51
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Luke-Jr wrote:
5
6 |On Monday 18 October 2004 1:20 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
7 |
8 |>On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:27:09PM +0100 or thereabouts, Ciaran McCreesh
9 |
10 |wrote:
11 |
12 |>>GLEP 29 covers grouping USE flags to simplify initial selection. The
13 |>>short version is that it proposes USE="@DESKTOP @KDE foo bar".
14 |>>
15 |>>An updated draft since the previous posting is attached. Updates are:
16 |>>* clarify some of the wording
17 |>>* explicitly state that comments are allowed in the group files.
18 |>>
19 |>>Feedback encouraged.
20 |>
21 |>Sorry if this was discussed earlier, but why not support -@GROUP? IMO,
22 |>negative USE flags are a key strength of the system and I'd hate to see
23 |>groupings drop that support. I do understand the chaos that may ensue if
24 |>you support negative flags within a group, but I'd like the ability to use
25 |>negative groups.
26 |
27 |
28 |As someone else mentioned, people might put "@KDE -@GNOME" and wonder
29 why X is
30 |missing... However, I would agree that -@GROUP can be useful and another
31 |workaround for the problem should be provided... Perhaps USE
32 dependencies (eg
33 |USE=kde relies on USE=X for most archs) could solve this (and also take
34 care
35 |of the grouping issue altogether), but that would add another level of
36 |complexity.
37
38 I have to agree on Kurt and as having -@KDE and -@GNOME should imply
39 that X isn't installed, there are other window managers who can be used
40 also (in this example). If we do now -kde and -gnome, that wouldn't
41 imply that X won't be installed right?
42
43 I think that people should have the option to do -@GROUP.
44
45 greetings
46
47 - --
48 "Defer no time, delays have dangerous ends"
49
50 ~ Jochen Maes
51 ~ Lead ppc/java
52 ~ Lead ppc/documentation