From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:03:03
1 On Tuesday 27 December 2005 22:45, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 December 2005 14:00, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > If all three of those packages were first built against kdelibs:3.4 and
4 > > then kdelibs:3.5 became available then rebuilding any one of them without
5 > > rebuilding the others will break digikam. I can't see how it's directly
6 > > represented in the metadata unless you want to overload the meaning of
7 > > SLOT.
8 >
9 > It's not possible to represent that via dependencies. What is needed is
10 > some sort of introspection which relevant ebuild is built against which KDE
11 > version and if those _installed_ ebuild:kdever combinations match the one
12 > the _actual_ ebuild to emerge.
13
14 Do you mind reading and replying to the second paragraph (which happens to be
15 the only new information I brought to this thread). Underlining words to
16 emphasize a point to me that I've opened by agreeing is really not necessary.
17
18 > But you're right about the overloading of the meaning of slots, because
19 > that's happening right now. Slots are used to install several versions of a
20 > package side by side. The idea Ciaranm and Brian are proposing to lock
21 > ebuilds depending on slotted packages down to a single slot is the
22 > redefinition. And once again: This doesn't match reality.
23
24 You've misunderstand what is meant by "locking ebuild dependencies". I gave
25 you a definition in my second paragraph. Please have a re-read.
28 Jason Stubbs
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list