From: Kendall Clark <kendall@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] server related wishlist
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:55:11
1 On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:47:27PM -0500, Ben Lutgens wrote:
2 > As a member of the server team and a sysadmin by trade. I'd like to ask
3 > the Sysadmins of the list what's lacking from gentoo with regards to
4 > server related stuff (daemons, services, management, clustering, HA,
5 > etc).
6 >
7 > I'd also like to know your thoughts on what needs to be improved to make
8 > gentoo more likely to bein your server rooms supporting your IT
9 > Infrastructure.
10
11 What would do it for me is to see Gentoo incorporate a server
12 build that looked more like Trustix(.org) -- which is the
13 most OpenBSDesque of the Linux distribs -- plus integrated
14 the hardened tool chain of Immunix(.org).
15
16 Some combination, for Linux servers, of Gentoo's already pretty
17 aggressive nexgen approach (supervise/monit, ng syslog, etc) plus
18 some of Trustix's security audit approach, plus Immunix's hardened
19 tool chain would make, in my view, Gentoo *the leading Linux
20 server distribution*, and I'd adopt it as my default server
21 install.
22
23 Just my two cents. :>
24