From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: an eclass to handle optional runtime depends
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 09:32:17
1 On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 09:35:05 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > I don't think we can start drafting until we agree on one solution.
4 > AFAICS there are two major ideas:
5 > 1) using special USEflags for that (which I can draft if you like),
6 > 2) copying DEPENDENCIES syntax from exherbo. I guess there's nothing
7 > special to draft here, only to decide on how much to copy.
8 >
9 > First gives you compat and handles all the cases, second one either
10 > doesn't handle everything or forces a completely new syntax.
11
12 As well as drafting it, you should produce a test implementation and
13 try out a whole bunch of packages by using it. The last time a big user
14 visible UI related feature like this ended up in PMS without a prior
15 implementation, it ended up having several fairly nasty problems...
18 Ciaran McCreesh