From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should Sphinx really depends on PYTHON_COMPAT/PYTHON_USEDEP for `dev-python/*` ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 05:10:59
1 On śro, 2017-05-17 at 21:44 -0700, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 09:32:46AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On pią, 2017-05-12 at 17:42 -0700, Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 > > > On 05/11/2017 12:51 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > > > In fact, I'm personally leaning towards not building docs at all
6 > > > > in ebuilds. It's practically a wasted effort since most of the time
7 > > > > users read docs online anyway.
8 > > >
9 > > > I believe that's a little myopic; a user (or even developer) may not
10 > > > have Internet access all the time, or may not have it in their primary
11 > > > development environment. Having a copy of the docs locally (the entire
12 > > > point of USE="doc") is super valuable to have when you're away from the
13 > > > network. I'm sure I'm not alone as one of the people who uses the flag
14 > > > and appreciates the work that goes into making sure said flag works.
15 > > >
16 > > > Sure, we could yank out every single USE="doc", but then we lose a nice
17 > > > feature of the tree and users are back to either (a) trawling the Web to
18 > > > find the project site, then hope they have docs in a separate download,
19 > > > or (b) we end up with foo+1 packages, one extra for any package that has
20 > > > documentation. Neither are particularly good solutions; Debian has done
21 > > > the latter and it results in a huge number of packages for little gain.
22 > >
23 > > The Python team mostly focuses on providing packages for dependencies of
24 > > other Gentoo packages, not direct Python development. We do not have
25 > > the manpower to go above that.
26 > >
27 > > --
28 > > Best regards,
29 > > Michał Górny
30 >
31 > Ah, well that at least explains why you're not interested in it.
32 > Dependency management alone can be tough; I've not noticed any Python
33 > issues, so it seems like you guys do well. :) If you don't mind me
34 > asking, what would it take to solve the USE="doc" issue to the Python
35 > team's standard? I have some personal interest in Python and wouldn't
36 > mind adding 'doc' support for Python packages that users request docs
37 > for.
38 >
39 > Maybe others are willing to join me on this. Is that something we can
40 > make happen without getting in anyone's hair?
43 For a start, it'd be nice to figure all the stuff out in detail,
44 and document it -- when USEDEP is needed, not needed, when we need
45 something else (like the plugin case). Once that is done, it's just
46 a matter of checking and fixing existing packages, and being patient
47 with devs doing the same mistakes again ;-).
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny