From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Carsten Lohrke <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:00:58
1 12.9.2005, 19:32:32, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2
3 > To have even more unmaintained packages in the tree. The tree it is that
4 > needs QA. If "maintainer-wanted" bugs stay open forever - who cares.
5
6 [left for later reference]
9 > Thanks for the pointer. :p So from the user point of view it's better to file
10 > a request without attaching an ebuild, because it wouldn't directly resolved
11 > WONTFIX?! (Before you answer that: From the user point of view, not your's.)
12 > I mean I'm often giving a pointer on an formal issue or a very wrong attempt,
13 > but being that strict is not neecessary, discouraging and probably some even
14 > take the chance to molest about Gentoo, imho.
15
16 Not at all. There are *lots* of people that actually fix their ebuilds very
17 quickly and appreciate the comments. And - as everywhere - there's also a bunch
18 of people that start bitching instead of taking 5 minutes to fix the thing.
19
20 Since you said above, that you really don't care if those user-submitted
21 ebuilds will ever get into portage or will stay in maintainer-wanted queue
22 forever and that's the stuff in portage that actually matters QA-wise, I'm
23 missing why are you worried about people not submitting their ebuilds any more.
24
25 At the very least, reviewing user-submitted ebuilds and marking things
26 WONTFIX/CANTFIX/REVIEWED makes it possible to filter out the outdated and
27 dead-upstream crap, as well as things about which those people who filed the
28 bugs don't care any more. And, if someone picks those ebuilds up and decides to
29 maintain them, he can focus more on testing the actual app then fixing a broken
30 ebuild (or even committing a broken ebuild into the tree).
34 Best regards,
35
36 Jakub Moc
37 mailto:jakub@g.o
38 GPG signature: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
39 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
40
41 ... still no signature ;)