From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new category for container related packages, instead of app-emulation
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 06:24:59
1 On Thu, 2021-08-05 at 17:57 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 2:44 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > We've been collecting more and more container related packages in
7 > > app-emulation/*
8 > >
9 > > What do you think about finally moving those packages to separate category?
10 >
11 > As always my opinion is that:
12 >
13 > (a) Categories were a design mistake.
14 > (b) The mistake is hard to fix.
15 > (c) It's basically low-value to try to 'correctly' categorize packages
16 > because of A.
17 > (d) Recategorizing means a bunch of stuff has to be updated.
20 Categories themselves were not a design mistake. The design mistake is
21 using categories to permit conflicting package names.
22
23 Categories are convenient. Sure, they're not perfect but they serve
24 their purpose to some degree and there's little harm in having them.
25 If you want to organize packages better, nobody's stopping you. Until
26 you've got a better and widespread replacement, I don't see why people
27 shouldn't be using categories as they see fit.
28
29 The other part is something we could aim for fixing but so far most
30 developers seems to disagree with me, so there's no point in pursuing
31 that.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny