From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new category for container related packages, instead of app-emulation
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 21:06:27
2 > Categories themselves were not a design mistake. The design mistake is
3 > using categories to permit conflicting package names.
4 >
5 > Categories are convenient. Sure, they're not perfect but they serve
6 > their purpose to some degree and there's little harm in having them.
7 > If you want to organize packages better, nobody's stopping you. Until
8 > you've got a better and widespread replacement, I don't see why people
9 > shouldn't be using categories as they see fit.
10 >
11 > The other part is something we could aim for fixing but so far most
12 > developers seems to disagree with me, so there's no point in pursuing
13 > that.
16 So how about improving categories instead?
17
18 Rough idea:
19 * introduce 1st, 2nd, 3rd class categories, categorized in metadata somewhere
20 * 1st class is what you want in your world file (and default setting)
21 * 2nd class is everything else
22 * 3rd class is stuff that should never be in your world file (but still can be, if you want)
23
24 Then tooling can (maybe output a warning but) default to highest class category if none is given.
25
26 Examples:
27 * 1st class: app-*, dev-lang, games-*, ...
28 * 2nd class: dev-haskell, dev-perl, dev-php, dev-python, dev-texlive, media-libs, net-libs, sci-libs, ...
29 * 3rd class: acct-*, perl-core, virtual
33 Andreas K. Hüttel
34 dilfridge@g.o
35 Gentoo Linux developer
36 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)