From: Rainer Groesslinger <scandium@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing the size of distfiles for our mirrors
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:59:19
1 On Tuesday 22 July 2003 15:35, Don Seiler wrote:
2 > My thoughts exactly. Also IIRC portage will go through the list of
3 > sf.net mirrors in the same pre-determined order every time. Perhaps to
4 > do some quasi-load-balancing we can have it randomly go through the
5 > mirrors and/or allow the user to specify their preferred mirror in an
6 > /etc/make.conf var like:
7 >
8 > SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR=twtelecom
9 >
10 > Perhaps this won't work but I thought I'd throw it out.
11 >
12 > Don.
13
14 That would be interesting, too.
15 Perhaps a make.conf setting "RANDOM_MIRROR" or something which is "yes" by
16 default and then randomly picks a mirror from the list if a keyword from
17 thirdpartymirrors is used...That's somewhat pseudo-balancing but better than
18 now.
19
20 Very popular packages where you can expect a "rush" should still be mirrored
21 to gentoo distfiles so that the thirdpartymirrors aren't overloaded by gentoo
22 users just because we don't mirror it.
25 Rainer Groesslinger
26 http://dev.gentoo.org/~scandium/