From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PostgreSQL Status
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:29:04
1 On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > * Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com> schrieb:
5 > > > It's bad, just because Debian does it ?!
6 > >
7 > > Yes, because their technical design is different from Gentoo's.
8 >
9 > Still too religious ;-P
10
11 Of course, that's your opinion to have and keep.
14 > Would be different if you'd said "we don't need to split since we
15 > have useflags" or "we want to stay as near to upstream as possible"
16 > instead of "we're not debian". Being different, just to be
17 > different is really too pubertal for me ;-o
20 The person you were replying to is a Gentoo Council member, elected by
21 the very devs that run Gentoo. I believe one should try and look
22 deeper in the meaning of such a man's words before labelling them as
23 "pubertal".
24
25 The words of a veteran usually aren't written in blind emotion or with
26 prejudice.
29 > > Debian/$binary_distro have to split up packages because they have no
30 > > other way of mapping configure flags to what the user wants to
31 > > install. Gentoo does, and they're called USE flags.
32 >
33 > Right, binary distros have a much bigger presure on that, but this
34 > doesn't mean that splitting is always bad.
35
36 There are specific use-cases where splitting is good, such as with
37 gstreamer, gtk-sharp, gnome-python{,-desktop,-extras} which are
38 essentially dependencies of other packages, and where built_with_use
39 checks are horrid to use.
40
41 > Think of all these useflag-deps, which often wouldn't be necessary
42 > if the packages would be split in finer granularity.
43 > Of course, this is mostly the upstream's fault.
44
45 I personally have no opinion about the -base and -server split, since
46 I do not know enough about it. But I am firmly against the -docs split
47 since the doc USE flag is for this use-case, and I see no reason why
48 not to use it.
49
50 Just stick a USE=doc on -base and be done with it
53 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list