From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PostgreSQL Status
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:12:59
1 * Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com> schrieb:
2
3 > > It's bad, just because Debian does it ?!
4 >
5 > Yes, because their technical design is different from Gentoo's.
6
7 Still too religious ;-P
8
9 Would be different if you'd said "we don't need to split since we
10 have useflags" or "we want to stay as near to upstream as possible"
11 instead of "we're not debian". Being different, just to be
12 different is really too pubertal for me ;-o
13
14 > Debian/$binary_distro have to split up packages because they have no
15 > other way of mapping configure flags to what the user wants to
16 > install. Gentoo does, and they're called USE flags.
17
18 Right, binary distros have a much bigger presure on that, but this
19 doesn't mean that splitting is always bad.
20 Think of all these useflag-deps, which often wouldn't be necessary
21 if the packages would be split in finer granularity.
22 Of course, this is mostly the upstream's fault.
23
24 cu
25 --
27 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
29 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
30 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
31 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
32 http://patches.metux.de/
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list