From: johnm@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:38:45
1 On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:21:47PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:11:21 +0000 johnm@g.o wrote:
3 > | On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 05:22:17PM -0500, Mark Loeser
4 > | <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
5 > | > * The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-herd assistance in
6 > | > keeping the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding
7 > | > and pointing out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking
8 > | > direct action.
9 > |
10 > | Please clarify "neccessary". I don't want to see repeat occurances of
11 > | non-issues bogging down real work. Also, please define around this a
12 > | clear and documented policy so when its enforced, its well defended.
13 >
14 > The problem is... It's impossible to document every single way in which
15 > someone can screw up. For example, I wouldn't've thought to document
16 > "you should not run mkdir in global scope", because I didn't think
17 > anyone would be daft enough to do it. Policy *has* to rely upon the
18 > basic assumption that developers won't do something crazy.
19
20 yeah, thats totally understandable. Its a best-efforts thing. I just
21 don't want neccessary to be deemed true for something which has an
22 arguable point with technical merit. Blatent mkdir-esque madness would
23 be more black than white, and I'd hope for this to try and sanitise the
24 gray :)
25
26 > | > * In the case of disagreement on policy among QA members, the
27 > | > majority of established QA members must agree with the action.
28 > |
29 > | Perhaps pushing it to an open forum on -dev/-core for consensus works
30 > | better here?
31 >
32 > The problem with that is, it usually ends up with too many pointless
33 > comments from people saying how things could be fixed in the distant
34 > future, or whining that it isn't explicitly forbidden by policy on
35 > situations where the screwup was too weird to be documented previously.
36
37 This is very much a case-by-case thing. I still feel the debate should
38 be better answered outside of conflicting qa members.
39
40 > | > * Just because a particular QA violation has yet to cause an issue
41 > | > does not change the fact that it is still a QA violation.
42 > |
43 > | Is this a statement or a policy? I assume that if this is policy the
44 > | non-visible issue would go about appropriate scrutany, and in turn a
45 > | long-term solution made in the situation where it is not easily
46 > | resolvable/avoidable.
47 >
48 > This is to cover for situations where people claim that their screwups
49 > are ok because no-one has yet reported it as broken.
50
51 I guess that also falls under the first point, based on the quality or
52 vagueness of the documention :)
53
54 - John
57 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
58 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
59 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
60 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515