From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:25:54
1 On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:11:21 +0000 johnm@g.o wrote:
2 | On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 05:22:17PM -0500, Mark Loeser
3 | <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
4 | > * The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-herd assistance in
5 | > keeping the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding
6 | > and pointing out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking
7 | > direct action.
8 |
9 | Please clarify "neccessary". I don't want to see repeat occurances of
10 | non-issues bogging down real work. Also, please define around this a
11 | clear and documented policy so when its enforced, its well defended.
12
13 The problem is... It's impossible to document every single way in which
14 someone can screw up. For example, I wouldn't've thought to document
15 "you should not run mkdir in global scope", because I didn't think
16 anyone would be daft enough to do it. Policy *has* to rely upon the
17 basic assumption that developers won't do something crazy.
18
19 | > * The QA team may also offer to fix obvious typos and similar minor
20 | > issues, and silence from the package maintainers can be taken as
21 | > agreement in such situations.
22 |
23 | I have no objections, on the understanding that there is a definitive
24 | understanding of whats being changed and legitimate things aren't
25 | accidentally replaced.
26
27 Example of where this clause would be used, had said bug not been
28 fixed quickly anyway: bug #122902.
29
30 | > * In the case of disagreement on policy among QA members, the
31 | > majority of established QA members must agree with the action.
32 |
33 | Perhaps pushing it to an open forum on -dev/-core for consensus works
34 | better here?
35
36 The problem with that is, it usually ends up with too many pointless
37 comments from people saying how things could be fixed in the distant
38 future, or whining that it isn't explicitly forbidden by policy on
39 situations where the screwup was too weird to be documented previously.
40
41 | > * Just because a particular QA violation has yet to cause an issue
42 | > does not change the fact that it is still a QA violation.
43 |
44 | Is this a statement or a policy? I assume that if this is policy the
45 | non-visible issue would go about appropriate scrutany, and in turn a
46 | long-term solution made in the situation where it is not easily
47 | resolvable/avoidable.
48
49 This is to cover for situations where people claim that their screwups
50 are ok because no-one has yet reported it as broken.
53 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
54 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
55 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm