From: Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: renaming "rc" binary in OpenRC
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:56:25
1 [I'm not the OpenRC maintainer, I'm only on gentoo-devel because I'm
2 generally interested, and I saw this, I'm not speaking for zigo or
3 anything here.]
4
5 On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 03:47:57PM -0500, Chris Reffett wrote:
6 > The idea of running a sed on inittab in an ebuild, no matter what the
7 > context, terrifies me. Perhaps we can ease this in slowly by renaming rc
8 > -> openrc and symlinking rc -> openrc and making a release with that
9 > change concurrent with a news item? Or even just do that in the ebuild
10 > rather than in the actual sources. I don't think Debian will keel over and
11 > die if it takes a little extra time for the change to go through, and it
12 > beats a ton of broken systems.
13 >
14 > Chris Reffett
15
16 Hi, Gentoo (and hello world),
17
18 I'm breaking my streak of lurking to comment generally on the Debian
19 procedure here.
20
21 I'm sure the Debian folks would be happy to strip the symlink from the
22 deb over having to patch OpenRC's rc binary => openrc against the
23 upstream source.
24
25 Shipping /usr/bin/rc => /usr/bin/openrc would be totally cool for
26 Debian, I believe. Hopefully the OpenRC team will come in and correct me
27 if I'm wrong :)
28
29 Fondly,
30 Paul
33 .''`. Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@××××××.org> | Proud Debian Developer
34 : :' : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352 D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87
35 `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~paultag
36 `- http://people.debian.org/~paultag/conduct-statement.txt