From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: renaming "rc" binary in OpenRC
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:09:39
1 On 12/11/2013 08:56 PM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
2 >
3 > [I'm not the OpenRC maintainer, I'm only on gentoo-devel because I'm
4 > generally interested, and I saw this, I'm not speaking for zigo or
5 > anything here.]
6 >
7 > On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 03:47:57PM -0500, Chris Reffett wrote:
8 >> The idea of running a sed on inittab in an ebuild, no matter what the
9 >> context, terrifies me. Perhaps we can ease this in slowly by renaming rc
10 >> -> openrc and symlinking rc -> openrc and making a release with that
11 >> change concurrent with a news item? Or even just do that in the ebuild
12 >> rather than in the actual sources. I don't think Debian will keel over and
13 >> die if it takes a little extra time for the change to go through, and it
14 >> beats a ton of broken systems.
15 >>
16 >> Chris Reffett
17 >
18 > Hi, Gentoo (and hello world),
19 >
20 > I'm breaking my streak of lurking to comment generally on the Debian
21 > procedure here.
22 >
23 > I'm sure the Debian folks would be happy to strip the symlink from the
24 > deb over having to patch OpenRC's rc binary => openrc against the
25 > upstream source.
26 >
27 > Shipping /usr/bin/rc => /usr/bin/openrc would be totally cool for
28 > Debian, I believe. Hopefully the OpenRC team will come in and correct me
29 > if I'm wrong :)
30 >
31 > Fondly,
32 > Paul
35 If that's the case then I see no reason to go through the migration path
36 for users :) The symlink thing can be done immediately.
37 I am wondering, wouldn't Debian be able to rename "rc" to "openrc" in
38 their openrc package just before merging it to the read filesystem (I
39 assume Debian also builds and installs in sandbox first?)? In this case
40 we will not have to touch openrc (or the ebuild) at all.
43 Regards,
44 Markos Chandras